I have spent this week working on the base of a diorama I plan to enter for the Everchosen Open category at the end of the month. I doubt this entry will get very far, but for me, the challenge of converting and building this miniature and the base, was motivation enough.
The idea was to have a Night Lord jumping on a Broodlord’s head and stabbing it with lightning claws. The miniatures I already had painted as they were going to be part of the diorama for Golden Demon that didn’t get finished. The challenge with them now was going to be fititng them onto a smaller base and still making it look good.
I went for a round base, and here are the materials I started off with:
I used the cork to build up the centre of the base. The wire brush was good at roughing up the edges so it didn’t look too much like a sheet of cork. I then glued on fine gravel to give the entire base some texture.
I still wasn’t happy with the cork, so I used texture paint to cover it. I wanted it to match the texture of the ground.
After leaving it to dry completely, I undercoated it black. I then had to attach the broodlord to the base, so out came the greenstuff. I used that to create rock up around his feet and the sculpting tools to make it look as much like rock as I could!
I didn’t like it 24 hours later, so I covered it in sand to see if I could get the textures to match – happily, it worked!
I then undercoated it black. After it had dried. I painted the whole base dryad bark and then washed it with Nuln oil. I then spent a good deal of time drybrushing different shades of brown over the base. I aimed for a reddish colour, this is how it turned out:
The base was still flat, so I added some burnt tufts of grass, a nurgling and some slime, a ripper and a few spots of blackish-blue blood. Here is the final result: