After the disappointment of the last miniatures I painted, I decided I needed to do something totally different before I moved on to the next set. I have had a slaughterpriest kicking around the house for a while and I wanted to practice some non metalic metals as it has been a while since I have done them. Last thing I want is to forget how to do them after all. The slaughterpriest seemed as good a mini as any to have a go at and so he became my willing volunteer.
I also tried something new out on the leather he wears as well, I wanted to give it an aged, cracked feel and I had a tutorial on Pinterest that I wanted to try, adding my own tweaks in here and there if I needed to. Here are the results:
Best parts for me are the red plates with the blended highlights, and some of the areas of the brass look pretty good. Others could do with improving. Painting silver is pretty tough, but I am not going to improve that without practicing it. This is only the second time I have done so and I am hardly going to be an expert at it already. Just keep practicing!
Normally, I wouldn’t blog about Works in Progress (WIPS) as I think it is better to wait until a miniature is done before I talk about it. However I am working on something a bit special I think and it is turning out a lot better than I hoped it would.
Layering was something I have practiced before, both at the Seige Studios painting course and with Gary, but both times have been on swords. I used something similar when I did Abaddon’s non-metallic metals as well, but I wanted to try the technique on something different and see how it worked. I had also seen another WIP of Shalaxi on the internet and so if I got stuck, I would have a frame of reference.
I like the colour blue and have the most experience with it I think, so I picked the four colours and got going. I used Caledor sky for the deep shading, Teclis blue and Temple Guard blue for the mid tones and Baharroth blue for the very light places. Each layer was exceptionally thin and it took a long time to build up the colours so they covered the area and then blend them into place. So far, I have spent 6 hours on the miniature, and I have only done the chest, upper thighs and face.
That said, I think it is already looking pretty special and I really am looking forward to doing the rest of the miniature. It might take a full month at this rate, but it will look good when it’s finished. Perhaps my best miniature yet!
I also want to give the stockings and glove things it appears to be wearing a sheer look, so they are see through. I am not sure how I will do this just yet, but I have plenty of time to work this out.
I have just finished painted the Cypher Lords for Warcry, and I must say they are amazing miniatures to work on. They are detailed, interesting and not too fiddly to stick together either. Easier than the Corvus Cabal for definite. I stuck to the colour scheme on the box as I have painted these with the idea of selling them in mind and wanted to stick to what I know is popular. Here they are:
I am also going to add a page on this website with miniatures I have painted that are for sale. They will have a price next to them and people will be able to contact me if they are interested. This blog gets a fair bit of traffic now, when I post things and it might be another channel for me to sell bits and bobs – has to be worth a try!
I was going to write about basing, but that can happen tomorrow after the greenstuff has dried and I have finished the bases. Instead, I want to write about the Stromcast Eternals I have just finished from the Soulwars box set. It does mean I have painted an entire boxed set of miniatures, which I feel is an achievement of its own. Today, I finished the last of the Stormcast.
I am less then enamoured with Push-fit miniatures. I found that more often than not, it didn’t. I might go so far as to say I would rather work with finecast… I ended up clipping off the push fit bit and just working the miniatures together in the usual way. I also had to use greenstuff to fill gaps – I did learn that I need practice in this area.
Anyway, that small gripe aside, here are the miniatures. I’ve already sold several units so I cannot take a group picture, but here they are individually:
All in all, I prefered painting the Night Haunt part of the box set, but these weren’t bad – I’d paint them over skeletons any day!!
I am proud of myself. Usually, finishing a unit off has been a struggle when working on personal projects. So, when I finished the Nighthaunt half of the Soul Wars box, I felt very pleased with myself. I managed to stick at them and have now got them all done. I really liked the miniatures, they were a lot of fun to paint. I have chosen a relatively simple scheme for them, which was quick to replicate and carry over to other miniatures. I think they look great together, and individually.
I have tried to take some pictures of them together, but it was a bit tricky. They wouldn’t all go on the light box as it was too small, so I had to use the old fashioned paper and box method. I hope they do them justice. I’ve also put the individual images up so you can see them all that way as well!
All of these miniatures, and more, are available for sale on my ebay page:
Yesterday, Jenn and I sat and painted for 12 hours to raise money for cancer charities. It was a really fun day and we managed to paint our way through 18 miniatures. More importantly, we managed to raise £560, smashing out target through and through.
Here are the pictures of the day:
Highlights of the day include:
Home Bargains ‘liking’ the Home Bargains Marine on twitter
Jenn confessing the attraction of Blood Letter butts.
Hanging out on the twitch stream with some cool people.
As for the miniatures. They are going to be sold by secret auction in a few days time, the proceeds of which will go towards the final total of the event.
If you want to donate in the meantime however, here is the link: