miniatures.

Crackle Paint and Ultramarines

I actually picked this up by accident. I intended to go for the Martian Ironcrust – the gravel texture paint that I use for nearly all my bases, but picked up Martian Ironearth instead. I was a bit surprised when I opened the tub and saw that it was smooth! I decided to go for it anyway – the colour was still right after all. Bright red really makes the blue of the Ultramarines stand out I think. Here they are:

I was unsure at first, then realised that painting the base before I put the crackle on was a good idea. this made it a bit easier. I also had to make sure that the feet had a bit of the drybrush colour on as well to give them a bit of a weathered look, otherwise they didn’t look quite right.

I really love the effect however adn I plan on playing about with it on some spare bases that I have knocking around. I bet they create a wicked lava effect.

Age of Sigmar · miniatures.

Basing – Water Effects.

A long time ago, I was once told that what makes a miniature look great is ‘bases and faces’. I always remembered this, maybe because it rhymes, so I have set aside some time to really think about how I am going to improve creating bases. For basic miniatures, I am happy to stick to using texture paints, however I want to stretch myself and try new things as well.

I have recently started collecting Ioneth Deepkin – so new that I have only assembled twelve of the miniatures, and have been thinking about a theme for them. I love water effects but wanted to look at something a bit different than just have them as a generic sea based force. I thought about different biomes within the water and settled upon a swamp theme. I shall be using greens and browns for the force themselves but more of that when I get to them.

I began by using water effects paint and seeing what it looked like over sand:

IMG_3646IMG_3647

I also used plastic from the blister packs to try and create waves and splashes. They look ok, not great, and not very swampy. Alright for a first play around though.

I then thought about what a swamp looks like, and used Pinterest to do some research. I discovered that swamps have a lot of reeds and plants in them and have a green and brown look to the water as well. So I painted some bases, put different materials on for land. This is how they turned out:

IMG_3698IMG_3701

I think the little plants and the reeds look good. I also really like the sand and the dark brown mud texture paint. I think the green on the bottm of the base it too green though. To me, it looks more like slime than the sludge at the bottom of a swamp. I want to try this again with a browner paint. I also want to try and see if I can add swamp weed into the water. This will take more than one layer of the texture paint however and might be reserved for the character bases.

It is a good start however, and I have a lot of ways forward to explore.

miniatures.

Water effects: An Experiment.

I have been doing some hobby bits for myself today. Shocking I know. A week or so ago, at the meet-up, I bought some Age of Sigmar miniatures with the intention of actually learning to play the game. I have been thinking about what I want to get out of the miniatures I bought and how I want to make them look amazing.

I went for Ioneth Deepkin – or Fish elves as I have been calling them.

I don’t like the plastic stick that holds up some of the miniatures, so I have been looking for a way around using them. Here is what I did today.

First I mixed some liquid resin and painted it over some cotton wool. I have heard of this being done before and wanted to see what it looks like.

IMG_3135

I am not convinced how well this will actually work, but you never know without trying.

I then tried another method, which I think will work better. I cut up bits of blister plastic into triangles and glued them onto a base:

IMG_3137

I then covered the base in gel diorama water effects stuff. I also built a wave and another base to see how they turn out:

I need to let them dry and see how they look then. I suspect I will need to put another layer on as well, but we shall see. It is a start and I am only going to learn by trying different things. Let’s hope one of them will lead to success!