miniatures.

Larissa Shadowstalker

So, I managed to get Larissa Shadowstalker finished today, and I am so thrilled with how she turned out. She was a lovely miniature to paint and I thoroughly enjoyed using some of the more technical skills to get her done.

For those interested, she will be available in the store!

40K · Age of Sigmar · miniatures.

Shalaxi – WIP

I’ve not had a great deal to blog about lately, other than seeing Rambo. Hobby wise, I have been painting the D&D scenary for Stronghold Games and I don’t think that would be exciting content if I posted about the eighth bookcase I have painted. I have also worked on Shalaxi today however and wanted to share the progress I have made. I’ve finished all the cloth and most of the skin now – all except the tail and I am pleased with the results again. I took some quick pictures with the lightbox, and without – I’ve yet to find a happy medium as yet with the lightbox, it always seems to bleach the colour out when I take pictures. Though I think this is probably due to them being taken on an old iPhone!

Anyway, here they are!

IMG_2883IMG_2884IMG_2885IMG_2886IMG_2887IMG_2888

When it’s done, I will be selling Shalaxi, though I think that is some time off yet. I’m pleased so far at the very least.

40K · fine detail · miniatures. · painting

Mini Reaver and the Freehand Venture

The only thing I have freehanded in the last couple of years is the galaxy cloaks a lot of people know me for. I wanted to try my hand at it and seeing how I decided to put the flat panels on the Adeptus Titanicus Reaver, I thought I would give it a go.

Now, the Legio that Twitter voted on was Legio Mortis, so I had a look at the heraldry, cursed at the complexity of it and rolled up my sleeves.

I started by sketching the image out on the panel with a pencil very lighty. At this point, the princeps of the Reaver was asking, ‘Why can I see graphite.’

IMG_1856

I then took a deep breath and got stuck in. I started off by filling in the black for the eyes and nose, as this seemed a good base. Next came the skull. I have been asked about painting bone and so shall be doing a tutorial on that next week. It is a combination of five colours and a lot of wet blending to make sure there are no glaring blend lines.

IMG_1861

Next came the bars around the skull. I used Eshin grey as the base and then added black or white depending on which tone I was after. I then blended them together to create shadows and light and this is the result.

IMG_1867

So, what do I think.

The cranium of the skull is a little too big, I think the teeth on the skull are a bit too stark and I know some of the grey rods are wonky.

Otherwise, I think I did alright in the end. Not bad for a first attempt in a couple of years. I will be doing similar again in the near future, got to keep practicing!