Before the world went mad, I had planned on creating a diorama of Mephiston fighting a demon – Doonbreed – for a Golden Demon entry. A lot has happened and the event was cancelled. The parts of the diorama have been left in a box mostly forgotten about until the other day. I thought, it might not be for Golden Demon anymore, but it would be a shame to waste the parts I had collected. So I started working on it again last week. Fridays have become my ‘skills’ day – where I try new things and practice existing skills in a way that I am unable to while doing commission work.
Here are some snaps of the mock up:
The idea is that he will be landing on the pipe in order to mess up a horde of demons on the larger base. I want the smaller base to be able to come off in case I get the insane notion of using this large, tall miniature on the tabletop… Yeah, maybe not but the practice of building up a scenic base won’t be a bad thing.
So, next task was to crack on and paint him. He is in sub assembly in order for me to get into the hard to reach spots without making too much of a mess. Here are some of the parts:
I have quite a way to go with this as yet, but I am pleased with the progress. I have also done work on his cloak, but I am saving that for another post as I want to really talk about the process of creating it.
In order for the diorama to look how I want it to, I need to make some changes to the miniatures I am using. Most plastic kits are dynamic these days, which makes doing so a little bit tricker, but with a bit of willingness to have a go and see, I have found it to be ok. Admittedly, the changes I am making are fairly small, so until I tackle a larger conversion, I cannot comment.
I started with Mephiston. I needed to make him a hand with the palm out to look like he is creating a force shield with it. I used a couple of different parts for this. One was a hand from a tank driver that I had spare from the Execusioner boxed set. I then used a spare Intercessor arm and matched the two together. I then had to find a leg for Mephiston. He has one, but the other in the kit is hidden behind layers of skirt. In the diorama, he is supposed to be floating in the air, so I stole a leg from an intercessor, carved out a space for it in the skirt part and now he has two legs! Here are his parts layed out – I am not assembling him fully yet because I want to paint some of the parts seperately.
Next was Doom Breed. I am using the demon prince kit for that, and so it was fairly simple to pick the bits I want and assemble them, again in parts. He is described as having a reptilian face with forward facing horns in the short story, so I had to alter the face in order to fit this. All I did was take the horns off one of the head and replace them onto the other. The rest was relatively simple. I know I am going to have to use a bit of greenstuff to fill gaps and smooth lines, but here he is for the time being:
Next will be playing around with liquid resin stuff and that UV torch I picked up at Vapnartak!
While I was away, Warhammer Fest was announced and therefore Golden Demon too. I want to enter this year after last year’s did not get finished. I underestimated how much time I would need and I was working as a teacher then, so ran out of time.
This year, I want to re-create a scene from one of the Mephiston short stories by David Annandale. In Lord of Death, Mephiston battles a demon prince named Doombreed. I love the scene, especially when he tries to play ‘the floor is lava’ with a demon. There is a lot going on in the scene, and I get a lot of enjoyment out of creating dioramas, so there we are. That is my challenge.
I have a concept sketch, which is silly, full of little notes and ideas, and a basic parts list:
I have a lot to think about, and some parts to source as well. At this stage, I am also open to suggestions as well. It will involve a bit of conversion work, a lot of patience and a great deal of effort as well. Still, it’s not worth doing if it isn’t going to push me to try new things, and it will be worth it regardless!