I finished the large D&D miniatures today and dropped them off at the store. It was quite the project, and it took a good while to complete, but here it all is.
It wouldn’t all fit in one shot so I had to take a couple. This doesn’t show the small bits either, like coin pouches or levers. It was fun to work on, but I will admit that I am glad to see the back of it now, and to have the space back in the hobby room as well.
This set of miniatures is a lot better than the others. There was much less warping of the plastic and the mould lines were far smaller. Detailing on the miniatures was still not amazing, however it was more defined than the other ones. I definitely preferred painting this group and even got to experiment a bit with different skin colours – purple, blue and green. I don’t know who the characters are really, so googling them to find out what they were supposed to look like was also rather fun. Perhaps I should give the show a listen.
Anyway, here they are in all thier D&D type glory…
I have spent the majority of the past two days painting bits of the large D&D scenary commission for Stronghold Games. Mostly what I have done is wooden items – barrels, beds, chairs, tables and that sort of thing. While it is not the most interesting thing I have ever had to paint (that’s Ahriman and the Ahrimen if you want to know), it has been fun. Most of the bits don’t take that long to paint, so it’s a ‘quick’ win in that regard and I like the idea of people using the bits to create scenes for their games. It will add a big visual element to playing and I know that is a good thing as I have done so myself.
I created a small scene in the light box using some of the bits I have painted today and one of the Mighty Nein who is awaiting basing!
I really like the plush looking chair, though I am not sure how comfortable that bed would be!
One part of the Dungeons and Dragons Scenary kit was a dragon. It required some assembly and wiggling to get the parts to fit in well but all in all, it wasn’t too bad to put together. Once this was done, it was a sizeable miniature to deal with. I’ve never painted a dragon before and I think this might be the largest miniature I have painted and finished (I still feel a pang of guilt over Magnus…). Having the airbrush to basecoat the fellow made this a lot easier to paint I think as I wasn’t quite so daunted by the size.
I went for green, as this was the colour on the box, though I did have free rein from the client who it is going to. Anyway, here is the finished dragon. It was a bit too large for the lightbox as well, so I’ve had to be a bit careful with the angles of the pictures:
Pleased with how he looks at the very least, and I know he will see some use on the gaming table as well.
I have been commissioned to paint a lot a Dungeons and Dragons Miniatures for the local games store. The majority of it is scenary, which differs greatly from what I usually paint. It is a welcome challenge, and there is a great deal of it. I started with the two sets of Dark Lord’s Tower – it is all made by Mantic – and decided to have a bit of fun with some neon pink paint…
I had no idea how well the pink would go through the airbrush, but it turned out pretty well. I had to spray it over white to get the vibrancy I was after, and it took a bit of thinning to prevent it clogging the brush up. The glow effect from the portal looked pretty neat in the end though and I now know those neon paints can be airbrushed.
One of the other packs is a lot of treasure, so I have spent some time painting piles of gold, silver, armour and treasure chests. Not the most exciting thing I have ever painted, but they do look good when they’re done!
In other news, there is also a dragon!