miniatures.

Water effects: An Experiment.

I have been doing some hobby bits for myself today. Shocking I know. A week or so ago, at the meet-up, I bought some Age of Sigmar miniatures with the intention of actually learning to play the game. I have been thinking about what I want to get out of the miniatures I bought and how I want to make them look amazing.

I went for Ioneth Deepkin – or Fish elves as I have been calling them.

I don’t like the plastic stick that holds up some of the miniatures, so I have been looking for a way around using them. Here is what I did today.

First I mixed some liquid resin and painted it over some cotton wool. I have heard of this being done before and wanted to see what it looks like.

IMG_3135

I am not convinced how well this will actually work, but you never know without trying.

I then tried another method, which I think will work better. I cut up bits of blister plastic into triangles and glued them onto a base:

IMG_3137

I then covered the base in gel diorama water effects stuff. I also built a wave and another base to see how they turn out:

I need to let them dry and see how they look then. I suspect I will need to put another layer on as well, but we shall see. It is a start and I am only going to learn by trying different things. Let’s hope one of them will lead to success!

40K · miniatures.

Primaris Chaplain

It is no secret that I love painting space marines. I love the sharp lines of the armour and trying to get the edge highlighting as precice and pristine as possible. I love painting their hands and around the small sections of their armour as neatly as I can. I sometimes achieve this and sometimes I feel as though I miss the mark. I am still learning after all, and perhaps always will be.

I bought the Primaris Chaplain as I thought it was an interesting miniature and to fulfill the need to paint a space marine. (I also have a Primaris Lt and an Ancient as well but more on them when they are finished.)

I tried a different technique on the dark brown leather of his cloak using a sponge to get the effect rather than a brush, and I think he turned out well in the end. I feel his highlights are sharp as well, which is great.

IMG_2710IMG_2712IMG_2714IMG_2716

I have kept his base simple as I won’t be keeping him, he will be sold. A bonus about this miniature is that it took me three hours from start to finish, which isn’t too bad. I have got a lot quicker these past few weeks!

If you are interested in owning this fine Chaplain, check him out in the store!

https://blackhandmarines.com/store/

fine detail · miniatures.

Slime Splatter

I made a small diorama as a gift the other day and am only now getting around to posting about it – mainly because by the time this post goes live, the gift will be recieved and it shall be safe to do so. I wanted to create something fun, but I have also wanted to mess about with creating slime. I’ve read several tutorials about using UHU glue and wanted to give it a go. Here are the results:

First of all, UHU is very stringy, so it was perfect for creating ropes of slime between aspects of the miniature. It got stickier as it began to go off, which meant it was easy to shape as well.

I think the hardest part was the first step – attatching bristles to where I wanted the drops to be. It needed a bit of patience to wait for the super glue to go off before I was able to attach the next one.

UHU glue does take paint well, so it was good to put a wash over the top and see it retain its shine. I want to do some more work around this, however I also have a few commissions to work on, all the learning from the Seige Studio course to work through as well as other projects. Maybe there should be a few extra hours in the day so I can get everything done!