I have managed to finish one of my own miniatures this week! As most of you already know, I have been painting and collecting Blood Angels, and using then to try new things and develop existing skills.Continue reading “Captain Azakiel”
So, I managed to get Larissa Shadowstalker finished today, and I am so thrilled with how she turned out. She was a lovely miniature to paint and I thoroughly enjoyed using some of the more technical skills to get her done.
For those interested, she will be available in the store!
I don’t usually do blog posts about Works in Progress but I am so pleased with how this one has built up today. I was working on the Stormcast lady and wanted to practice some non metallic metals. I like the process and how it all comes together in the end. I always think it’s gone horribly wrong half way through and that it will never look decent. Usually, I am wrong:
I finished Dante today, after what seems like forever. When I picked him out of the second hand box he came in, I decided he would be a great opportunity to try a brighter version of Non-Metallic Metals than I have done in the past. Here he is in all his finished glory:
Thoughts on Non-Metallic metals then. I like how much brighter the paints I used turned out. It was difficult half way through because it looked awful but pressing through and using the yellow really brought it out. The blue blends on the axe look super smooth and I really like how the lightning looks as though it is dancing over the blade rather than just stuck on.
Improvement points: I need to make the lighter sections larger, I feel the mini is still rather dark in places. I could use smoothing out the blends as well to make the transitions better. This shows particularly on the larger, flat areas. Silver spots remain a sticking point but this will get better with time.
The base needs a touch up.
All in all though, this has been a great learning process and I have some ways forward for myself. I am pleased with him and he will soon join his brothers in the cabinet!
After the disappointment of the last miniatures I painted, I decided I needed to do something totally different before I moved on to the next set. I have had a slaughterpriest kicking around the house for a while and I wanted to practice some non metalic metals as it has been a while since I have done them. Last thing I want is to forget how to do them after all. The slaughterpriest seemed as good a mini as any to have a go at and so he became my willing volunteer.
I also tried something new out on the leather he wears as well, I wanted to give it an aged, cracked feel and I had a tutorial on Pinterest that I wanted to try, adding my own tweaks in here and there if I needed to. Here are the results:
Best parts for me are the red plates with the blended highlights, and some of the areas of the brass look pretty good. Others could do with improving. Painting silver is pretty tough, but I am not going to improve that without practicing it. This is only the second time I have done so and I am hardly going to be an expert at it already. Just keep practicing!
I have not disappeared! I have a friend staying over from Sweden adn we have been off on many adventures together while she stays here. Today however, to give my little car and our feet a rest, we decided to have a painting day. I have used the time to catch up on painting some more of Abaddon for Everchosen. Some of you may remember that I wanted to try Non-Metallic Metals for it and I have been taking my time with the blending highlighting.
So far, I am very pleased with the result. One of my worries was that parts of the miniature wouldn’t look as good as other parts. So far, I think I am alright.
I think I need to touch up the skull on his knee as it looks as though I have knocked it with some darker paint – this shouldn’t take too long at least.
I am also glad I decided to paint him and build him in parts. It has made accessing different areas a lot easier. I know I have a lot to do yet, but this feels like a great start!
During the painting tutorial day Wednesday, we discussed the Everchosen contest that is on the 27th July. I said I hadn’t planned on entering but was persuaded otherwise. I had a couple of option in my head. One was Ahriman floating about on a balewind vortex, the other was Abaddon. Now, Ahriman would have been too large for the category I want to enter, so Abaddon was the only remaining choice.
He is a wonderful miniature and I want to do him justice. I also want to learn new things and push myself for the contest. So I decided I was going to have to learn how to do Non-Metallic Metals. For those that don’t know, that is painting metal areas with non metal pigment. It is pretty hard to do.
I learned a lot about layering while I was painting the sword on Wednesday, and it was with that in mind I went about this task. I grabbed a test miniature, in this case a chaos space marine, and began looking at pictures on Pinterest. I don’t like watching videos, part of the fun for me is looking at a picture and figuring the rest out for myself.
I’m not secure enough in my knowledge to really share or offer tips on this, I have a lot to learn yet. However, I already learned a great deal and look forward to trying this again very soon.
Here are today’s attempts: