So, I managed to get Larissa Shadowstalker finished today, and I am so thrilled with how she turned out. She was a lovely miniature to paint and I thoroughly enjoyed using some of the more technical skills to get her done.
For those interested, she will be available in the store!
While I was away, Warhammer Fest was announced and therefore Golden Demon too. I want to enter this year after last year’s did not get finished. I underestimated how much time I would need and I was working as a teacher then, so ran out of time.
This year, I want to re-create a scene from one of the Mephiston short stories by David Annandale. In Lord of Death, Mephiston battles a demon prince named Doombreed. I love the scene, especially when he tries to play ‘the floor is lava’ with a demon. There is a lot going on in the scene, and I get a lot of enjoyment out of creating dioramas, so there we are. That is my challenge.
I have a concept sketch, which is silly, full of little notes and ideas, and a basic parts list:
I have a lot to think about, and some parts to source as well. At this stage, I am also open to suggestions as well. It will involve a bit of conversion work, a lot of patience and a great deal of effort as well. Still, it’s not worth doing if it isn’t going to push me to try new things, and it will be worth it regardless!
I was lucky enough to get a new Airbrush for Christmas and today, I tried it out for the first time. I have only been using airbrushes for about six months, and find them to be a useful tool when it comes to base coating. The one I have been using, the Harder and Steenback Ultra has been brilliant when it comes to learning and is a great piece of kit, I have done a lot with it since I started as well.
When I went on the painting course in August, the model of airbrush used as the Harder and Steenbeck Evolution AL Plus. It’s made of aluminium and is less than half the weight of the other one at 56g. It might not seem like a big deal, however I use the airbrush for extended periods of time and I also have carpel tunnel syndrome in my right wrist. I don’t want to make the condition worse and although this is a small thing, it will make a big difference. This is the one I am now using!
First thing I did was take it apart, which was easy – there were instructions to follow which helped. Once it was back together again and connected up, I had a go at some scenary to check the flow of the airbrush itself and see what it could do:
The paint flowed well, and the coverage was even. It’s not perfect but then my skills are still being refined. Patchiness in the paint work is down to my lack of ability rather than the airbrush itself. I was pleased with how these sections turned out and I want to try and do some fine detail work with the airbrush another time to see exactly how small an area I can cover.
This airbrush is a quality piece of kit. It has finer control of the trigger; I need less pressure to activate it and it fits in the hand better than the Ultra does. It’s more refined and suited to someone who has had practice with an airbrush and wants to move on to something a little more sophisticated.
I also base coated a tank, which is the first commission of the year:
I am very pleased with it so far, and look forward to being able to refine my skill with the airbrush as the year progresses.