I don’t usually do blog posts about Works in Progress but I am so pleased with how this one has built up today. I was working on the Stormcast lady and wanted to practice some non metallic metals. I like the process and how it all comes together in the end. I always think it’s gone horribly wrong half way through and that it will never look decent. Usually, I am wrong:
Normally, I wouldn’t blog about Works in Progress (WIPS) as I think it is better to wait until a miniature is done before I talk about it. However I am working on something a bit special I think and it is turning out a lot better than I hoped it would.
Layering was something I have practiced before, both at the Seige Studios painting course and with Gary, but both times have been on swords. I used something similar when I did Abaddon’s non-metallic metals as well, but I wanted to try the technique on something different and see how it worked. I had also seen another WIP of Shalaxi on the internet and so if I got stuck, I would have a frame of reference.
I like the colour blue and have the most experience with it I think, so I picked the four colours and got going. I used Caledor sky for the deep shading, Teclis blue and Temple Guard blue for the mid tones and Baharroth blue for the very light places. Each layer was exceptionally thin and it took a long time to build up the colours so they covered the area and then blend them into place. So far, I have spent 6 hours on the miniature, and I have only done the chest, upper thighs and face.
That said, I think it is already looking pretty special and I really am looking forward to doing the rest of the miniature. It might take a full month at this rate, but it will look good when it’s finished. Perhaps my best miniature yet!
I also want to give the stockings and glove things it appears to be wearing a sheer look, so they are see through. I am not sure how I will do this just yet, but I have plenty of time to work this out.